Pioneer Hair Transplant Surgeon
in Atlanta & New York City
Biography & Areas of Expertise
In 1990 Dr. Cole became a pioneer in total follicular unit hair transplantation and microscopic dissection, focusing on transforming hair restoration surgery from cosmetically unacceptable results into aesthetically pleasing results. In 1998 Dr. Cole became one of the first diplomats of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) and later served on both the examination committee and board of directors of the ABHRS. Dr. Cole led the Newcomer program of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRR) in 2000 and 2001. In 2002 Dr. Cole chaired the 10th annual meeting of the ISHRS in Chicago, IL. Collectively, Dr. Cole has chaired 13 major international conferences, and Dr. Cole has also been a scientific director for more conferences devoted to FUE than any other physician.
Dr. Cole received his first patent for innovative surgical instruments in 1998 and has acquired six additional patents from the USPTO since then, along with numerous patents-pending devices. In 2003 Dr. Cole pioneered the successful methods of performing follicular unit extraction or FUE hair restoration and began developing the instruments necessary to perform FUE. Dr. Cole also began teaching FUE to other physicians in 2003 and continues to train physicians how to perform FUE. Today FUE is the most popular hair restoration surgery procedure globally, and FUE still depends on the basic principles and mechanisms described by Dr. Cole in 2003. In 2003 Dr. Cole opened the first FUE clinic in Europe and, in 2007, the first FUE clinic in Asia. In 2005 Dr. Cole developed the first complex motion profile device, including oscillation, for FUE. Dr. Cole filed patents on all significant alterations in punch designs for FUE in 2006. Manufacturers continue to copy these designs. In 2013 Dr. Cole became the 20th recipient of the Gold Follicle from the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. In 2014 Dr. Cole opened an FUE training center with Dr. Ozgur Oztan in Ankara, Turkey. In 2019 Dr. Cole received the second Lifetime Achievement Award from FUE Europe, which made him the first to receive both a Gold Follicle Award and Lifetime Achievement award.
Dr. Cole entered the field of regenerative medicine in 2007. In 2015 Dr. Cole developed a means to lyse platelets to achieve five times the concentration of high molecular weight proteins compared to standard activated PRP with calcium gluconate or thrombin. In 2016 Dr. Cole brought topical finasteride to the United States after success in the clinic he helped establish in Rome, Italy. Dr. Cole is a strong advocate for adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells to treat hair loss.
Dr. Cole remains one of the strongest proponents of FUE and a leader in regenerative medicine for hair loss. Dr. Cole is currently editing the first textbook related to regenerative medicine for hair loss. In addition, he serves as vice president for the Academy of Regenerative Medicine and Surgery Society (AIRMES). He has authored numerous papers and chapters related to regenerative medicine and hair restoration surgery. Dr. Cole currently practices hair transplant in Atlanta, GA, and New York, NY.
John P. Cole, MD
Founder / Hair Transplant Surgeon
John P. Cole, MD is a foremost pioneer in hair restoration, including his groundbreaking improvement to Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) – CIT® (Cole Isolation Technique). This innovation and his specialized instruments emphasize minimum invasiveness for minimum/no scarring and maximum density.
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) – 1993-2017
- International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS)- 2023
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS) – Associate Member for over 20 years
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) (Earliest to become board certified and was certified from 1997 through 2010.)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ESHRS)
- American Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ASHRS)
Hair Transplant Techniques Used by Dr. John Cole
Dr. Cole specializes in numerous hair restoration procedures. An innovator in the field, he also emphasizes precision and artistry. Forhair is his flagship clinic. There, Dr. Cole personally oversees training in CIT®, his groundbreaking FUE technique, and other hair transplant procedures. Dr. Cole continues his innovative research as well. This includes exceptional hair restoration treatments that stimulate stem cells to accelerate growth and foster yield.
Dr. John Cole - Top Awarded Hair Transplant Surgeon
- International society of Hair Restoration Surgery,Scientific Research Grant and Award
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery – Ten Year Attendance Pen
- International society of Hair Restoration Surgery – Five Year Attendance Pen
- Italian Society of Hair Restoration Surgery -Michaelangelo Award
- Italian Society of Hair Restoration Surgery – Archimedes Award
- Dermal Hair International Group – DHI Bronze Medal 2000
- Dermal Hair International Group – DHI Gold Medal 2002
- ISHRS Golden Follicle Award 2013
- Mercer University, BS (Biology / Chemistry)
- Medical College of Georgia, MD
- University of Missouri Department of Internal Medicine
- International Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, January 1, 1998
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, January 1, 1998
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery -Diplomate)
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery – Board of Directors and Examination Committee
- International society of Hair Restoration Surgery, Beginners Program Chairman
- 01 International society of Hair Restoration Surgery – Beginners Program Chairman
- 02 International society of Hair Restoration Surgery – Scientific Committee Chairman
- 02 International society of Hair Restoration Surgery meeting – Program Chairman
- 02 Aegean Meeting for Hair Restoration Surgery – Chairman
- ISHRS – Beginners Course (98, 99, 2000, 2001)
- Italy 1997 – Beginners Course
- European 2000- Beginners coursee
- Korean Live Surgery Workshop, 2001
- Faculty of the WHRS (1999 and 2002)
Over the years, Dr. Cole has researched and published a number of articles in the field of hair transplant surgery. Topics include the use of trigonometry to accurately calculate donor harvest, nomenclature, estimation of the recipient area, estimation of size and number of follicular units, maximization of donor yield, measurement of distance between grafts based on pattern of distribution and density, predicting coverage and yield.
Dr. Cole has also co-authored a chapter on Donor Harvesting along with Dr. Walter Unger, for his text titled Hair Transplantation. His interview with Cosmetic Surgery Times on donor harvesting led to a featured article in 1998.
Overs years in the field, Dr. Cole has made several presentations and a number of forums. He has discussed donor harvesting, maximizing donor yield, the mathematics of follicular transplantation, etiology of hair loss, microscope vs. loops comparison, mustache transplantation, biological switches, metamorphic changes to surgically excised hair, physics of light, and geometry of scalp reduction surgery.
He has also held a number of seminars across the United States about the cause and treatment of androgenic alopecia for the general public.
Dr. Cole is a man of many interests. Over and above his dedication to the field of hair transplantation, his interests include, snowboarding, computers, flying, water skiing, baseball, snow skiing, saltwater fishing, tennis, golf, wake boarding, dressage and he loves raising his children.
The Golden Follicle Award is a prestigious honor that the ISHRS awards each year. Specialists who receive it have made an outstanding contribution related to hair restoration surgery. The award highlights a specialist’s dedication to improving hair transplantation practices and techniques. In fact, one of the criteria is effectiveness: patient results matter first. Dr. Cole is very proud to be 2013’s winner of this lifetime achievement award.
Start Today With A Free Online Consultation!
Discover how Forhair can help restore your hair and your confidence.
Online onsultations are free! No cost, no obligation.