Dr. John P. Cole - Atlanta Hair Transplant Surgeon
Biography & Areas of Expertise
John Peter Cole, MD specializes in numerous hair restoration techniques. Most prominently, this includes Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), Body Hair Transplant, Plug Redistribution, Plug Removal, Scar Revision, Facial Hair and Eyebrow Restoration, and Body Hair Farming.
Dr. John P. Cole attended the Mercer University on an academic scholarship from the United States Army and graduated Summa Cum Laude with degrees in Chemistry and Biology back in 1981. He then received his medical degree in 1985 from the Medical College of Georgia. His postgraduate degree in internal medicine came from the University of Missouri. Dr. Cole has dedicated himself to hair transplant surgery since 1990. His memberships include the American Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ASHRS), American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS), and International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS).
One of the first physicians to become a Diplomat of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, Dr. Cole has also been on the society's Board of Directors and Examination Committee. Dr. Cole shares his knowledge and research through a host of papers that he also presents at educational seminars and transplantation societies. A leader in the field of hair transplant procedures, Dr. Cole's contributions include developing specialty instruments, creative research into follicular anatomy, and developing formulas to accurately measure the performance of hair restoration specialists. Dr. Cole is also active within the larger hair restoration industry. In 1999, the ISHRS awarded him a research grant for work involving regional variation in hair density and hair diameter. He was also recommended to the ISHRS Research Committee. Dr. Cole presented his findings at the 2000 meeting of the ISHRS. He also orchestrated the Beginner’s Program at the ISHRS’s annual medical conference in Hawaii, where he trained more than 75 physicians in techniques and processes of hair transplantation. He has also been invited to speak at many events, including the first Korean Workshop on Hair Restoration, the 2001 Italian Society of Hair Restoration Surgery meeting in Sicily, and the 2001 European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. He was the Co-chair at the Aegean meeting for hair restoration surgery in 2002 at Athens, Greece. Dr. Cole and Dr. Devroye were awarded First Place for a poster presentation on ‘Computer Applications in Hair Transplantation' by the ISHRS in 2000. The Italian Society awarded him the Archimedes Award in 2001 and Michelangelo Award in 2002. Dr. Cole was also the director of the Beginners Program at the International Society Meeting of Hair Restoration Surgery meeting in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Additionally, he was the chairman of the ISHRS in Chicago Illinois.
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) since 1993
- International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS) - Sponsor since 2002
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS) - Associate Member for over 20 years
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) (Earliest to become board certified and was certified from 1997 through 2010.)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ESHRS)
- American Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ASHRS)
Hair Transplant Techniques Used By Dr. John Cole
Dr. Cole specializes in numerous hair restoration procedures. An innovator in the field, he also emphasizes precision and artistry. Forhair is his flagship clinic. There, Dr. Cole personally oversees training in CIT®, his groundbreaking FUE technique, and other hair transplant procedures. Dr. Cole continues his innovative research as well. This includes exceptional hair restoration treatments that stimulate stem cells to accelerate growth and foster yield.
- International society of Hair Restoration Surgery,Scientific Research Grant and Award
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery - Ten Year Attendance Pen
- International society of Hair Restoration Surgery - Five Year Attendance Pen
- Italian Society of Hair Restoration Surgery -Michaelangelo Award
- Italian Society of Hair Restoration Surgery - Archimedes Award
- Dermal Hair International Group - DHI Bronze Medal 2000
- Dermal Hair International Group - DHI Gold Medal 2002
- ISHRS Golden Follicle Award 2013
- Mercer University, BS (Biology / Chemistry)
- Medical College of Georgia, MD
- University of Missouri Department of Internal Medicine
- International Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, January 1, 1998
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, January 1, 1998
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery -Diplomate)
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery - Board of Directors and Examination Committee
- International society of Hair Restoration Surgery, Beginners Program Chairman
- 01 International society of Hair Restoration Surgery - Beginners Program Chairman
- 02 International society of Hair Restoration Surgery - Scientific Committee Chairman
- 02 International society of Hair Restoration Surgery meeting - Program Chairman
- 02 Aegean Meeting for Hair Restoration Surgery - Chairman
- ISHRS - Beginners Course (98, 99, 2000, 2001)
- Italy 1997 - Beginners Course
- European 2000- Beginners coursee
- Korean Live Surgery Workshop, 2001
- Faculty of the WHRS (1999 and 2002)
Over the years, Dr. Cole has researched and published a number of articles in the field of hair transplant surgery. Topics include the use of trigonometry to accurately calculate donor harvest, nomenclature, estimation of the recipient area, estimation of size and number of follicular units, maximization of donor yield, measurement of distance between grafts based on pattern of distribution and density, predicting coverage and yield.
Dr. Cole has also co-authored a chapter on Donor Harvesting along with Dr. Walter Unger, for his text titled Hair Transplantation. His interview with Cosmetic Surgery Times on donor harvesting led to a featured article in 1998.
Overs years in the field, Dr. Cole has made several presentations and a number of forums. He has discussed donor harvesting, maximizing donor yield, the mathematics of follicular transplantation, etiology of hair loss, microscope vs. loops comparison, mustache transplantation, biological switches, metamorphic changes to surgically excised hair, physics of light, and geometry of scalp reduction surgery.
He has also held a number of seminars across the United States about the cause and treatment of androgenic alopecia for the general public.
Dr. Cole is a man of many interests. Over and above his dedication to the field of hair transplantation, his interests include, snowboarding, computers, flying, water skiing, baseball, snow skiing, saltwater fishing, tennis, golf, wake boarding, dressage and he loves raising his children.
Dr. John Cole - Top Awarded Hair Transplant Surgeon
The Golden Follicle Award is a prestigious honor that the ISHRS awards each year. Specialists who receive it have made an outstanding contribution related to hair restoration surgery. The award highlights a specialist's dedication to improving hair transplantation practices and techniques. In fact, one of the criteria is effectiveness: patient results matter first. Dr. Cole is very proud to be 2013's winner of this lifetime achievement award.