Search - Pages
Search - Forum
Search - Faq's
Photo Gallery Search
Search - Categories
Search - Contacts
Search - Newsfeeds
Search - Weblinks

is scalp tingle a sign of future hair loss?

Hair loss issues exclusively for men and women How to stop hair loss, propecia, avodart, Androgenetic Alopecia in Women, you can post any topic here.
iostream71

is scalp tingle a sign of future hair loss?

by iostream71 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:46 pm

every once in a while i'll get this tingly feeling in areas above the crown and middle of my head. i don't see any loss in those areas(only the front so far), but i have a feeling it's coming. thoughts?

apgr

Re: is scalp tingle a sign of future hair loss?

by apgr » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:56 am

iostream71 wrote:every once in a while i'll get this tingly feeling in areas above the crown and middle of my head. i don't see any loss in those areas(only the front so far), but i have a feeling it's coming. thoughts?

i also feel sometimes a 'tension ' on middee and top ,and i have hairloss problemthere .I had asked a dermatologist and inform me that this is the 'mechanism' of hairloss , i do not know if it is correct or not ,maybe dr.Cole can answer it .But i remember i never had this in the past
(it feels sometime like if a wear a 'cup' on the top of my head or middle )
when i did not have hairloss .

1346 287chwaza
eurostar

by eurostar » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:03 am

perhaps you guys have some sort of a skin condition like dandruff?
this is the season when i am getting some dandruff mainly on the front of the scalp and i get this tingly feelings that you mentioned...

iostream71

by iostream71 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:10 pm

hmm, now that you mention it, the person cutting my hair mentioned i had some dandruff on a recent cut. i don't really notice that many flakes though. i use nizoral + head & shoulders, so i figured the dandruff was under control

4914 642Inkorp Msnicons
FITLocks
Accomplished Poster

Future hair loss and tingling sensation

by FITLocks » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:42 pm

iostream71,

I asked the doctor about this. As far as we know, tingling is not an indication of future loss.
CXJohn

Notice: I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not medical advice.

iostream71

by iostream71 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:23 pm

just seems strange though, fitlocks. i've been digging around various forums and the phenomenon seems very common amongst thinners. why is it i never get that sensation on the sides and back of my head where, conveniently, the donor areas are?

4914 642Inkorp Msnicons
FITLocks
Accomplished Poster

I agree

by FITLocks » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:59 am

I agree it is strange, particularly if many people report this. All I can say is that it deserves further attention since we do not currently have an explanation.
CXJohn

Notice: I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not medical advice.

iostream71

by iostream71 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:24 pm

one thing i wanted to add. i remember when i came in for my consult with damien, he mentioned he saw some miniaturization above my crown in this one area checked(he estimated 14%). it seems that's where i have some of that tingly feeling. does an area with any amount of miniaturization mean that loss will occur there eventually? thing is, i don't see any thinning there at all yet

4914 642Inkorp Msnicons
FITLocks
Accomplished Poster

by FITLocks » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:33 am

iostream,

This is not a significant amount of miniaturization. This may not be a predictor of future loss at this stage. On the other hand, it may be an indication of very very early hair loss. If you cannot see it, that is a good sign.

It seems you have a concern of doing work and experiencing loss subsequent to the surgery. This happens, no doubt. It is good concern to have. When we look prospective patients we try to assess the potential for future lose and the corresponding risk associated with whatever plan the patient and the doctor come to. For example, many times we see 26 or 27-years-old with isolated frontal tufts and peach fuzz through their crown areas. There future is clear; at some point in the future they will be a class 6 or a class 7. If they understand this, have limited goals, and have the good donor recourses we consider treating them with a timeless hairline and an overall design that will enable future loss to happen gracefully. We leave the door open for future work but do not commit the patient to this. In other words we treat the patient as if he was already a class 6 or 7.

You are older than the patient in the example above with significantly less ominous signs of dramatic future loss. I suspect you will lose more hair, but not to the level we fear for in the young patient. But, like the young patient, it will be better to give you a timeless hairline and an overall design that is aligned with you worst case scenario for loss. This way we leave the door open to stop or go in the future.

If you come in again, we will have the doc look at your crown and give his opinion. There is no crystal ball though. That is why meds and topicals are crucial, particularly with other therapies in the pipeline.

As Dr. Cole says, if you are concerned about loosing hair in an area “throw everything at it but the kitchen sink” before surgery is needed.

iostream71

by iostream71 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:53 am

thanks a lot for answering all of my questions. i'm getting closer to my goal date of getting something done, so i'm asking as much as possible.

yes, i'm VERY concerned with future loss. i don't want to get something done and then have it all be for nothing. maybe i'm just being overly paranoid haha. i've already scheduled a follow-up with dr. cole. thanks again!

I added a frontal pic so you can get an idea of where I'm at. Please excuse the messy hair Icon Razz
Attachments
File
front121606.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 3539 times

iostream71

by iostream71 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:38 pm

well this is interesting. i finally met with dr. cole and ^^^, both of whom were very helpful in answering my questions. during my visit, michelle suggested alternating nizoral and the hair cycle shampoo. i had been alternating nizoral with head & shoulders. i've been trying that and notice i hardly have any of that tingly feeling anymore. wonder if the head & shoulders was irritating for whatever reason

CoolFIT

by CoolFIT » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:40 am

My experience with Head and Shoulders has been that it is one of the most benign shampoos around. I am surprised you would have that reaction. But from my perspective, I have never experienced the tinglyness with Head and Shoulders. Either way Michell's recomendation will do you more service than alternation Nizoral with Head and Shoulders.

iostream71

by iostream71 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:57 pm

who knows, maybe it's all in my head(no pun)

Return to “Hair Loss General Forum”