Search - Forum
Search - Faq's
Photo Gallery Search
Search - Categories
Search - Contacts
Search - Newsfeeds
Search - Weblinks

Sun tanning vs. Tanning booth

Get help with your pre & post op surgical questions and concerns.
LuciousLox

Sun tanning vs. Tanning booth

by LuciousLox » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:21 pm

I understand after a hair transplant sun exposure should be avoided for at least 6 months to avoid damaging the new grafts. Does this hold true in a tanning booth as well? If one is very careful not to burn the recipient area would it be ok to go tanning? Summer is here and just want to know what I can or cant do.

Will a very strong spf tanning lotion protect my head and new grafts?

Thanks

cavdo
Regular Poster

by cavdo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:52 pm

The reason sunlight should be avoided is because UV light damages skin cells, including hair cells, as well as it slows down proper healing of grafts. It should be avoided as long as possible until the grafts have grown. Six months is a fairly liberal suggestion because we all know that it takes somewhere between 12 – 18 months, sometimes even longer, for the grafts to heal properly and all the hair to grow.

A tanning saloon is hybrid UV light, which is much, much worst than direct sunlight. If I had to choose, I'd rather be on direct sunlight instead in a tanning booth.

But than again, some people are much more resilient against sun light and are able to be exposed to it without complications. Genetics play a major role. If you'd ask me, I'd avoid UV light as much as possible even though it is very hard to do during the summer season. At least wear a hat or something to cover your head.

2554 777Snake Msnicons
forhair
Site Admin

by forhair » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:19 am

LuciousLox, you can always put a hat or a baseball cap and go to tan.
CXJohn

Contact Us
-----------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer:I am not a physician. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not a medical advice.

884 160Raptox
Patrick
Regular Poster

by Patrick » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 pm

You can go to the beach .Don't forget to use strong sunscreen and wear a hat.
Avoiding UV is the best way ;but if you really want to tan as Cavdo say direct sunligth is better than a tanning booth.

Don't be discourage because the length of exposure is important.If you can use a sunscreen a get to the tanning room for 15 minutes ,I think you should be all rigth.

Return to “Pre & Post-Op Surgery Faqs”