strip scar repair

A general discussion about bad hair transplant repair,Plug removal, Plug redistribution, scar repair, scar revision and the options available to correct bad hair transplants, including photos.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

strip scar repair

Icon Post Targetby macklin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:33 am

I have had four full strip procedures and I'm satisfied with the coverage on top but only if it is buzzed short (whould prefer 3 guard short at most all over)...unfortunately my donor scar is visible even at 8 guard length and my hair is too fine/thin to grow it longer than that...my surgeon says my options are 1)do another transplant (no, bad enough now)  2)let him cut the scar out and tighten it up without anymore strip removal for FREE  3)get grafts put into the scar (probably with Dr. Cole)...should I let him try it at no cost?  has anybody had it done and were you satisfied? are my goals reasonable? thank you for imput, this situation is driving me crazy...
macklin

Icon Post Targetby gamecock » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:10 am

From what I have seen, I think that grafting into the scar works out better. Those scars can stretch even more after the original scar is cut out.
4957 2331fielmich Msnicons
gamecock
Regular Poster

Icon Post Targetby macklin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:18 pm

thanks...yeah the work I've seen done looks impressive...I like too that you can get it partically done at first and get an idea about the whole package...the "free of charge" part is inticing (for scar removal) but the result is so unpredictable...
macklin

Scar work

Icon Post Targetby CITness » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Macklin,

We prefer to graft into linear scars in the donor area. Grafting into scars may be more advantageous to patients than scar revisions. Scars cannot be surgically removed, a thinner scar may or may not form as a result of scar revision. Grafting into linear scars can get the appearence of the scar to improve dramatically if blood flow inside the scar is sufficient. As the scalp heals, another scar will form and perhaps some stretch-back may occur. Thicker than the surrounding tissue, scar tissue is paler and denser because it has a limited blood supply; although it takes the place of damaged or destroyed tissue, it is limited in function, including movement, circulation, and sensation. For the best coverage, we transplant grafts at lower densities over more than one session.
5529 1400vdias Msnicons
CITness
Proficient Poster

hair transplant scar repair

Icon Post Targetby drcole » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 am

I agree that the "free" sounds enticing. I think it depends on the physician. Some are good a scar repair and some are not. The best you can generally hope for is a 50% reduction. You should get between 100 and 200 grafts out with in proper scar repair. Make sure this hair does not go in the trash. make sure he transplants this if you have the revision done. sometimes you do not get any improvement, but it may be worth the effort depending on the physician. Make sure he does a double layer closure and you might consider the trichophytic closure as this sometimes improves things. you will see a very good result for the first three months after a scar revision. at that point the scar begins to widen. Generally a good scar is 2 to 5 mm in width. if your scar is wider than this now, i would not allow your current physician to do the revision. If you are succesful in the reducing the scar, you may still need to graft it since your hair is fine. certainly either option is acceptable, but you will need to wait at least 6 months after the revision to graft the scar and then you will need to wait 6 to 8 months for the grafts placed into the scar to have good growth.

Best of luck to you.
CXJohn

My Bio Page
-----------------------------------------------------
Iconalbert
drcole
Site Admin

Icon Post Targetby macklin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:30 am

you have all been extremely informative, thank you...
macklin

Re: strip scar repair

Icon Post Targetby MacyDavis » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:50 am

The transplanted area runs along the front left and right of my original (high school) hairline. I've just started shaving it as the hair has thinned out in between and so this front strip of wiry hair looks unnatural.
http://www.linella.dk/
MacyDavis

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Hair Transplant Repair Forum