Body Hair

A general discussion about bad hair transplant repair,Plug removal, Plug redistribution, scar repair, scar revision and the options available to correct bad hair transplants, including photos.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Body Hair

Icon Post Targetby stayton07 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Which forms of body hair have had the most promise? I have read about body hair being used in the hairline when it comes from the leg or some places where the hairs are a bit fine Is this accurate? Is this type of fine BHT better than scalp hair for fine hairline work? This was the idea I have gotten from time to time reading posts.
stayton07

Body Hair

Icon Post Targetby FIThair » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:52 pm

It really depends on the caliber of the hair. If the caliber is thick, it makes a great source. When the caliber is very fine, it will not provide as much coverage, but it could be great for the hair line.

We would start with the best quality hair in terms of length, number of hairs per follicular unit, and widest caliber first. Then we move to alternative sources. From our point of view, scalp hair is still king and should be used first.
FIThair
Patient Services
Europe Sig
----------------------------------------
Notice: I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of the CHTG doctors.
My advice is not medical advice.
Shedevil
FIThair
Proficient Poster

Icon Post Targetby FIT Club » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:23 am

Stayton,

Dr. Cole will consider potential future loss when designing your individualize plan. In the patient guide it states that you have to plan for the worst, so you have to consider what the best plan would be so that the work you do will still provide a natural progression should you move into a higher Norwood class (i.e. VI or VII). The development of a such a "life-long" plan is a particular strength of Dr. Cole in my opinion.
Regards,

FIT Club
CXJohn

Notice: I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not medical advice.
471 27Sowhat
FIT Club
Accomplished Poster

Re: Body Hair

Icon Post Targetby MacyDavis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Human body hair might seem to be useless on today's modern man, but it could help us detect parasites, researchers suggest, adding there's a chance our female ancestors preferred a bug-free mate, and so opted for hairier guys.
http://www.linella.dk/
MacyDavis

Re: Body Hair

Icon Post Targetby rapunzel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 pm

While body hair provides an additional source to harvest donor hair, it does not always produce a predictable yield as does scalp hair. Using body hair does have some pros. For example, body hair grows approximately twice as long on the scalp as it did on the body. Additionally, body hair growth may be quite robust, leading to significant improvements in those who had few options due to depletion in their donor areas. Body hair may grow finer, however, on the scalp than it did on the body. The fineness of this hair growth may reduce the effect of the additional hair, therefore, lessening the cosmetic benefit.

The initial procedure using body hair should not exceed 500 grafts. With this “test session,” an individual will be able to get an idea of how the body hair looks on the scalp, without investing unnecessary amounts of time or money only to find discover he is unsatisfied with the end result. Scalp hair remains the superior product, with beard hair coming in second. All other body hair produces inconsistent results. The yield is often lower with body hair as well. If the patient is satisfied with the outcome, an acceptable yield is achieved, and the physician feels the patient is a good candidate for more body hair, one may then move forward with a much larger session of body hair.

Dr. Cole adopted this technique around 2003, and today, the team of physicians at Forhair remain some of the few who can use body hair in the successful transplant to the scalp.
rapunzel

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Hair Transplant Repair Forum