Opinion... meeting Dr. Cole in March.

A general discussion about hair restoration.
17 posts • Page 1 of 1

Opinion... meeting Dr. Cole in March.

Icon Post Targetby ridersinc » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:52 pm

Hi,

I have set-up a consultation with Dr. Cole in March in Los Angeles. I am really looking forward to it.

Here are my current pics. based on Rogaine 5% every night. Pics. were taken with hair gel in my hair.

I tried Propecia for about 10 days but it made me feel weird... so i stopped taking it. I also noticed shedding while taking Propecia... which freaked me out a little.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions/concerns are greatly appreciated.

Cheers... ridersinc.
Attachments
File
Front
front.JPG (92.26 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
File
top.JPG (89.8 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
File
Back
back.JPG (92.45 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
ridersinc

hi

Icon Post Targetby control » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:46 pm

Ridersinc,

I am amazed. We have alot in common. I also have an appointment coming up soon with Dr. Cole in march and have the same amount of hairloss in the crown area. I am currently using rogaine and tried propecia in the beginning but discontinued the use of propecia. For the 20 days I used propecia, I felt tired and my muscles were sore after doing regualr workouts at the gym. I did not change my routine at the gym but for some reason propecia seemed to make it 100 times tougher. I stopped the use and everything was back to normal. I have been using rogaine for about 8 months and haven't noticed much regrowth. It did stabilize my hair loss but did not do much to address the issue of dense coverage for the crown area. I am 23 and am hoping that Dr. Cole can help with the issue. After reading numerous threads on the site, I do know that I need to plan for the present and future. I am just glad to have plenty of body hair if needed in the future.

Later
Control
control

Hair restoration

Icon Post Targetby FITLocks » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:34 pm

Ridersinc and Control,

Can you tell me what your respective hair restoration goals and expectations are? Also, ridersinc, what is your age?
CXJohn

Notice: I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not medical advice.
4914 642Inkorp Msnicons
FITLocks
Accomplished Poster

Icon Post Targetby ridersinc » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:28 am

Hi FIT and Control,

Regarding Propecia... I felt the same way during my gym workouts. I felt tired and "bloated" (if you can believe that)... and my girlfriend... well... that was a different story. I just did not feel myself. As soon as I stopped... everything went back to normal.

I have had another opinion from a recommended doctor over here in So. Cal. whom I respect. He told me that I had what they call a "Ted Danson" hairline... that is... that there is strong/thick hair in the front section and then it thins in the front middle and the rear. He stated that Propecia would take care of the rear area. I mentioned the side effects I was having with Propecia and he stated that I did not give it a chance to kick in and that I should initially try half a Propecia and go from there. He said that I should take it in the night right before bed. I was taking it in the morning before work. He mentioned the half-life to be short... so the night would be the best time to get the least side effects of the drug. Anyhow, he mentioned that FUT in the front middle would help alot. I respect and trust this doctor... but I am more inclined to go for the FIT/FUE method from Dr. Cole for several reasons (pretty much already mentioned on this forum from my research). If I was to go for the FUT method... I would recommend this Dr. due to his feedback from other people. My Dad who is in his mid-60s has no problem with the FUT Strip method... due to his age... and therefore may go for it with this Dr. due to his location to where we live in So. Cal.

I turned 31 a few months back.

I would like to have thicker hair in the front that I can style and coverage in the rear that will not show so much of a bald spot. There was a time in my college days that my hair was so thick... that I had to have it thinned in order to style it the way I wanted to. I miss those days. I am not looking for that (that would be awesome however), but just to get some coverage in the front and the rear and the ability to style with some product (gel, etc) without having bald areas would be ideal.

Once again... I look forward to meeting Dr. Cole in March and getting his expert opinion/recommendations regarding my hair loss.

Cheers... ridersinc.
ridersinc

Icon Post Targetby control » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:50 pm

Fit / Rider,

Rider, when did you notice your hair loss and when did you begin using Rogaine.

FIT, I currently do have some hair in my crown area and just would like to get it a bit dense so too much scalp is not viewable. My front and sides seem to fine as of now. I plan on using rogaine continually to slow down my future hair loss. I really would not like to take propecia.

Later
Control
control

Icon Post Targetby drewsturner » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:12 pm

I like the "Ted Danson" hairline quote. It was ironic because his hair was his livelihood in Cheers, but he was wearing a wig the whole time. Since propecia is supposedly more beneficial for the top of the head rather than the hairline, it should help you out. I've heard that other people have isolated side effects as well but having effects on your gym training is strange. I would give it another shot or maybe try proscar especially if you are considering a HT. It will lower the amount of shock loss in your case...
DT
drewsturner
Proficient Poster

Icon Post Targetby control » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:44 pm

Drew,

Is it beneficial to take both (propecia/rogaine) as a control towards shock loss. I have read numerous threads which recommend the use of rogaine to fight shock loss.

Might be dumb question but does shock loss hair regrow later?

Control
control

Icon Post Targetby forhair » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:44 am

Code: Select all
Might be dumb question but does shock loss hair regrow later?

In most cases it will all grow back, usually or maximum at 3 months post op.
CXJohn

Contact Us
-----------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer:I am not a physician. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not a medical advice.
2554 777Snake Msnicons
forhair
Site Admin

Icon Post Targetby drewsturner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:20 pm

I've heard nothing but good things about using minox/rogaine prior to your HT. It is supposed to strengthen those hairs succeptable to loss during or after a procedure. Generic minox has worked for me and I only use it once a day before bed, no side effects. I got an 8 month supply online for $30.00. I'm also giving advodart a whirl after being on Pro. for over a year. If nothing else it seems to be a builder for existing hair. Hairline hairs that were thin before have really beefed up recently...Talk with Dr. Cole re: your HT. I turn 25 March 12th and have had two with him totaling 820 grafts since September of '03. Everyone has different goals with their HT. I choose to stay on top of my thinning hairline and be more conservative (i.e. filling in spots that seem to be thinning more every now and then). My goal is to have a nice head of hair by thirty...which will probably be more hair than most men at that age. You may choose to be more aggressive...it just depends on what you and the Dr. agree to... Good Luck!!
drewsturner
Proficient Poster

Minox

Icon Post Targetby FITLocks » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:41 pm

Drew,

From where did you order your Minox online?
CXJohn

Notice: I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not medical advice.
4914 642Inkorp Msnicons
FITLocks
Accomplished Poster

Icon Post Targetby FITLocks » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:54 pm

ridersinc,

I think drew's hair restoration approach might be applicable in your case or it least it is something to think about. Neither of you are bald, you are simply loosing some hair. In your case you have a hairline still but understandably you might desire some more fullness behind it. Drew talked about filling in the cracks as it were. A small session of FIT to treat an area with pre-existing hair is usual a good move as you can better avoid shock. In this way you keep existing hair and gain new hair. A large ht session might create too much trauma to the scalp. Dr Cole often states his general preference to take one step forward rather than two forward and one back.
CXJohn

4914 642Inkorp Msnicons
FITLocks
Accomplished Poster

Icon Post Targetby control » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:44 pm

Drew,

Where do you get your supply of Minoxidil? I plan on doing the same as far as small session is of planted grafts. I hate walking aournd and people infroming me about my thin hair as if I didn't know already.

Another quesiton I have is regarding hair growth in different areas of the head. Has their been any research data that shows of better percentage of hair growth in different areas of the head when same number of grafts are planted at each location? (e.g. 500 grafts planted either in front or top or crown)

Thanks
Control
control

Icon Post Targetby drewsturner » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:45 am

Let me correct my statement. I ordered a 4 month supply of kirkland minoxidil for $28.95, but I only use it once a day so it will last me 8 months. 8 months is actually $57.00 but it is still a great deal. The package (4 mo.) has 4 bottles and individual applicators for each one, while the 8mo. supply has 8 bottles. They also have a full year for like 70. www.onlyhairloss.com is the link. You can also go to www.minoxidil.com. for different products. It's a pain to put on before going to work in the morning so I just use it at night and it does the trick.
DT
drewsturner
Proficient Poster

Icon Post Targetby ridersinc » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:06 pm

FIT,

Yup... that is pretty much what I have in mind. I will consult with the Dr. and go from there. At the moment... I am continuing the Rogaine 5% (Kirkland Brand bought at Costco) every night before bed.

Cheers... ridersinc.
ridersinc

Icon Post Targetby ridersinc » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:11 pm

Hi,

This morning I met Dr. Cole and one of his patients (forgot his name) at the LAX Hilton for my consultation.

Dr. Cole was very nice and extremely professional in person and I am very glad that I went for the consultation.

He examined my head, my scalp, took hair samples, took pics, scoped it with some high-zoom scope, etc.

Even though he told me that I have excellent donor hair, excellent bundles, and an excellent donor area, he noticed that I had good density in my thinning areas (see pics. above) and that he would much rather try to get this thinning density to "switch back on" before taking the surgery step. So after much discussion, he suggested the strategy that I go back on Propecia for at least 6 months with the hope being that it may trigger these areas to "switch back on". I told him about the initial effects that I had with Propecia and he stated that this could actually be a good thing and that the Propecia may work for me and that these effects should subside within months.

So my plan of attack is to go back on Propecia, maintain my regimen of Rogaine 5%, and try the Nizoral 1% Shampoo (3 times per week). I will see how this goes for 6 - 8 months and then report back to Dr. Cole with the results and move forward from there with FIT being the next step.

Thanks to Dr. Cole and his patient for taking the time to see me in person.

Cheers... ridersinc
ridersinc

Icon Post Targetby forhair » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:51 pm

one of his patients (forgot his name) at the LAX Hilton for my consultation

I think you refer to DJ.
Good Luck!
CXJohn

Contact Us
-----------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer:I am not a physician. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not a medical advice.
2554 777Snake Msnicons
forhair
Site Admin

17 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Hair Transplant-General Forum