New hairs incredibly thin: will they thicken?

A general discussion about hair restoration.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

New hairs incredibly thin: will they thicken?

Icon Post Targetby Steve » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm nearly 8 months out and when I look closely at my recipient site I can see the graft points and nearly every single one has a hair growing out. Unfortunately a majority of them are extremely fine with no pigment. They remind me of what you see when using a hot glue gun after you pull the gun away from the object. You get that incredibly fine thread of glue connecting the gun to your object. That's what my hairs are like.

So a hair is growing, but it's basically useless. The hairs are to the length they've been trimmed to (roughly 3/4") but they show no sign of getting thicker. The hairs show the same characteristics their entire length.

About 15%-20% seem to be growing at full strength and many others seem to be somewhere in the middle. The ones going full strength were the earliest ones to recover and have been strong since nearly day 1.

Are these incredibly thin hairs normal? Do they thicken up to normal size over time and if so how long does it take? Will I need to wait until after the hair returns from its next dormant stage to mature?
Steve

Icon Post Targetby drcole » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Hairs can grow in thicker than the donor source so it is possible that they can grow in finer too. this is not common except with body hair. The case is quite interesting so we would like more details. Scalp hair will usually grow in thicker or the same diameter. Otherwise there is the suggestion that something unusual unrelated to male pattern baldness is going on. Body hairs are often finer than scalp hairs and they seem to at times grow in finer than the donor source despite good technique. Keep us up to date with this mysterious situation.
Iconalbert
drcole
Site Admin

Icon Post Targetby forhair » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:07 pm

Steve, did you had FIT or Body Hair?
CXJohn

Contact Us
-----------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer:I am not a physician. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr Cole. My advice is not a medical advice.
2554 777Snake Msnicons
forhair
Site Admin

Re: New hairs incredibly thin: will they thicken?

Icon Post Targetby CS305 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 pm

I'm 10 months out. I notice the same on my recipient. I've been looking it up and some articles say that initially grafts that start growing post op come out thin and then thicken over time.
CS305

Re: New hairs incredibly thin: will they thicken?

Icon Post Targetby drcole » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Yes, new hairs can begin growing finer initially and become coarser over time. Also, they can be much coarser initially and become finer over time. I see that body hair grafts often grow finer initially. This can lead to problems with the cosmetic impact of body hair grafts. If the hair is there, but you can't see them with body hair transplants, the benefits of body hair can be minimal. This is why I now recommend a test procedure with body hair to make sure that the patients are happy with the results before larger procedures are performed.
CXJohn

My Bio Page
-----------------------------------------------------
Iconalbert
drcole
Site Admin

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Hair Transplant-General Forum